Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Potluck Friday


Who doesn't love a good potluck? I mean, everyone can cook at least one thing good. And if you aren't into cooking there is always chips, dip, and drinks. For all of its appeal, it has never made it big in Jordanian society, except among the expatriates and transplants. I attend at least one potluck a week. It's a great way to invite yourself to someone else's house, no pressure for the host to do much of anything. Just make sure your bathrooms are clean and the coffee pot is always full.
Today, my husband invited our family to his sister's house for dinner. I'm sure it started with "What's cookin'?" and when he liked that she was making fish, a dish I could never make often enough for him, he said that we would be coming and bringing whatever it is I was going to make. It turned out quite well in the end. I brought some leftover mloukhia, a fresh pot of rice and the prettiest shepherd's pie I ever made. My sister in law made a pot of lentil and rice soup, a beautiful potato and beet salad, fries and of course the fish. We actually stayed long enough to have another round of lentil soup, this time served in mugs as we all watched Slumdog Millionaire with both Arabic and English subtitles.
It was great company and great food. I could do that more often. I hope my in-laws do the same and I will look forward to a fancy free feast at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment