Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cari's Cravetastic Coffee Cake and the Hostess with the Mostess (plates to serve, that is)


One big benefit to the numerous coffee mornings I go to with friends is the ability to sample new and exciting treats. My friend, Cari, made the most wonderful coffee cake recently and I have been spreading the word about it. It was the most perfect coffee cake in texture in flavor that I have ever had. With a ribbon of fruit filling and a crunchy streusel topping as well as that hint of glaze, you will be craving it as well.
.
.

Let them eat cake!
.
.
I have made it twice already in the week and a half that she gave me the recipe. She made it with apple pie filling, but I could only get my hands on strawberry. It was darn tasty too, but the apples, oh! The second time I made it, I went to recipezaar and found a really easy recipe for apple pie fillingwhich I cooked up just for this cake. The variations are endless. Next time, I am going to make it with my homemade banana marmalade .
.
.

Fruits on a plate

Tea on a tray
.
.
Jordanians tend to go for a less sweet cake and I think this fills the bill quite well. I served it for my in-laws this week . It went along nicely with the coffee, tea, fruits, bizzer (seeds and nuts), and chocolates. But sadly, they all left before the last cup of coffee was served. I love playing hostess, but my timing is always off for my Arab guests. Inshallah, they feel welcome at my house. I shall keep trying!

Cari's Apple Nut Coffee Cake

Cake
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1 can apple pie filling
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Streusel Topping
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbs butter melted
Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3/4 tsp vanilla
2-3 tsp water
In large bowl cream butter and sugar. Beat eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Pour half into a greased 13x 9 in. baking dish. Combine pie filling and cinnamon; spoon over batter (She adds a little sugar and dash of nutmeg). Drop remaining batter over filling. Spread gently.
Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 min. or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on rack.
Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment