Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mujadarra - What would you do for a mess of pottage?


Way back before television, before there was such a thing as Klondike bars, people were making deals in exchange for treats that tantalize the taste buds. As the story goes, Esau exchanged his birthright to his fraternal twin Jacob for a mess of pottage, or what is known in Arabic as mujadarra. Mujadarra is made of the simplest ingredients, rice, lentils, and onions, things you probably have in your cupboard right now. If ever you don't know what to cook, or your cupboards are getting bare, it's time to make mujadarra.
A few days ago I made it for my family, adding "a ton of cumin" at a friend's suggestion. I don't normally play around with my mother in law's recipes, but I decided to take a walk on the wild side, throw caution to the wind and in went a heaping tablespoon of cumin. I was totally prepared to feed my husband something different. He doesn't like my getting creative with Arabic food. I must make it the way his mom makes it.
We set the table as we always do. I filled his plate. He took a bite. His eyes got big. Then he said "What did you do to this?" I had a split second of suppressing my urge to defend myself before he went on to say, "It's delicious!" Everyone at the table agreed and I believe we all ate seconds. Last night they fought over who finished the leftovers. It didn't end well, so I promised to make it for lunch again today. Again, I made it and again, they ate seconds. Fortunately Rod was born twenty minutes after Petra or I do believe he may try what Esau did. It's that good.
Here is my new and improved version of my mother in law's recipe:
1 and 1/2 cups brown lentils
6 cups water
2 large onions
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 and 1/2 cups rice
Add water and lentils to a large saucepan and boil for 20 minutes.
While the lentils are cooking, dice one onion and fry in olive oil. The onions should be cooked until they caramelize and get dark. I add bits of water as the pan gets dry to avoid using too much oil. This takes time but is what gives the dish it's amazing flavor.
Once the onions are done, add the cumin, salt, and pepper to the pan and saute for a minute to release the flavors.
Add the onions to the lentils and water.
After the lentils have cooked for 20 minutes, add the rice and cook for another 20 minutes.
Slice the next onion into thin slivers and repeat the caramelizing. Set aside for a garnish.
Serve with yogurt and the fried onions. Make sure you make plenty to avoid future inheritance issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment