Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Introduction to baking, recipe cards and wacky cakes


wacky cakeI have been baking since I was just a young girl. My mother inspired me then as she always would with the love of baking. It must have started the Christmas that I decided Santa should bring me an EasyBake oven. Never did get the thing, but my mom shrugged it off with a "Who needs one of those, when you can bake with the REAL thing."
She then got out her recipe box which held index cards categorized by dish and organized alphabetically. They were all in her neat handwriting. My mother would redo all the recipes after the cards got tattered at the edges, sprinkled with too much flour, or occasionally spattered by oil. Her organization was a real blessing. She gave me her old ones which I use to this day, in my own recipe box. I have no plans on replacing them.
She pulled out a recipe for Wacky Cake, the first cake I baked myself. I still make it today as the ultimate in comfort food for more reasons than one! It is about the moistest cake you will taste, even the crumbs are moist. Also, it is chocolate! Need I say more!
What gives Wacky Cake it's name? It could be the fact that it has no eggs, or because you only need a square cake pan, a fork and some measuring utensils. The directions themselves are a bit wacky. Wacky enough that I pretty much committed it to memory all those years ago.
Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon vinegar
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water, cold
Put the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in an 8x8x2 square baking pan and stir til well blended with a fork.
Make three holes in the flour mixture. One small, one medium, one big.
In the small hole, put the vanilla.
In the medium hole, put the vinegar.
In the large hole, put the oil.
Pour the water on top of it all.
Mix well with fork.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Eat it hot, eat it cold, eat it the next day, if you are lucky enough to have any left.

No comments:

Post a Comment