Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ode to a peanut butter sandwich


pb&jGod bless George Washington Carver, that African-American marvel that invented peanut butter. I love that guy so much, I did a book report on him in sixth grade. I love him simply because he created one of the most comforting of comfort foods.
As a kid, in my house, if you turned your nose up at anything Mom made, you could replace it with a peanut butter sandwich. Peanut butter is good paired with anything. Some combinations I have tried and loved include peanut butter and jelly, of course, raisins, cinnamon-sugar, marshmallow fluff, and even pickles. Don't knock it til you've tried it.
If you slept over at my grandparents' house, not only would you be awakened by my Grampa sticking his finger in your ear, but after the cows were milked, Grampa would come up and make his specialty breakfast, Cream of Wheat, or Coco Wheat, your choice. But no bowl of this was complete unless you slather a slice of toast with peanut butter and then topped it with this hot cooked cereal.
My brother and I used to come home from school in search of snacks. Mom never really stocked up on prepared foods, opting for the homemade cookie instead. The cookie jar was not always full, more often than not, with five kids in the house, it was emptied quite quickly. So my brother came up with his favorite afternoon snack called the candy bar. He would start off with a spoon of peanut butter, some powdered milk, and some honey and mix it up til it got kinda hard. Then he would shape it into a log and find other things in the pantry to adorn it with. I am thinking raisins, chocolate chips, Nestle Quik, that kind of thing. Extra points for creativity. Some days it was goopier than others so he would freeze it first and then we would dig in! Disgustingly good. Nowadays, he has his wife to make delicious peanut butter balls, which are a chocolate covered melty peanut butter delight!
My favorite way to eat a peanut butter sandwich is with chicken noodle soup with a slight variation. I make my sandwich on pita bread and cut it with scissors into little crouton like shapes which I put in my soup. The peanut butter melts under the heat of the broth and the bread gets soft and noodly. It is good.
What's your favorite way to eat peanut butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment